Remember: Vote early and vote often!
The debate of the century!
The debate that polarized the world and tore countless families apart.
The debaters: Scott Aaronson Versus Lubos Motl
Topics being debated tonight: Is Complexity Theory just a science based on conjectures? Are those conjectures even right, or that fundamental, or of any importance to Physics? Are Complexity Theorists too political, clannish and dismissive of others? Do they sometimes give themselves all the credit for inventing the wheel? Did they really invent physics? Which one would you hire: a complexity theorist, a computer programmer or a string theorist? Would you hire Lubos? Would you hire Aaronson?
Topics not being debated tonight: Will (gate model) quantum computers ever be built? Both debaters believe that they will be.
Venues (in inverse chronological order): (sorry for the preponderance of Lubos links, but, shit!, the guy does have stamina, and, unlike Lubos, no complexity theorist has reviewed Scott’s book in their blog, so far, that I know of)
- (Lubos) Short questions often require long answers and proofs
(Boaz Barak) Reasons to care: In honor of Scott Aaronson
- (Lubos) Comparing the depth of the millennium problems
- (Lubos) Aaronson’s anthropic dilemmas
- (Lubos) Democritus on the QM operating system
- (Lubos) Minds and Machines
- (Lubos) Scott Aaronson: a prototype of some confusion of IT scientists about physics